Thursday, June 18, 2009

Snap Peas



I joined a CSA this year and I can't tell you how excited I am each week to see what comes in our box. There has been lots of lettuce and spinach so far. But last week we received snap peas. I just love that fresh, crisp vegetable.
I planted some snap peas just outside my garage and it has provided me with a pre-dinner snack each night as I walk to the mail box. What fun!


Give this recipe a try. You will enjoy it!

Sugar Snap Peas with toasted sesame Seeds


Makes 5 servings
Ingredients:
· 4 cups sugar snap peas
· 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted in a skillet until golden brown)
· 1 tablespoon sesame oil


Instructions:
1. "De-string" by pulling the remaining step away from the pea
2. Cook the peas in boiling water for no more than three minutes
3. Drain and plunge them into a big bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and prevent the peas from being mushy
4. When cool, drain the peas and mix with the sesame seeds and sesame oil in a bowl


Nutrition Information: 118 calories, 4.5 grams total fat, 15.5 grams carbohydrate, 4.9 gram protein, 4.7 grams fiber, 142 milligrams sodium, 0 milligrams cholesterol


Recipe is modified from the Kaiser Permanente website.

No comments:

Post a Comment