Thursday, June 19, 2014


Kohlrabi



I’m trying to keep a promise and practice what I preach.  You know the one- “try a new fruit or vegetable on a regular basis.”
There was a great deal of chatter around my office last summer about how the kids just loved their taste experience. Not wanting to be shown up by a bunch of 2nd graders, I decided I would grow some in my garden this year. I went out to weed the other day and there it was already for harvest- Kohlrabi.
I must admit, when eaten raw it didn’t taste sweet like I was told it would.  It actually tastes like a cross between a turnip and cabbage, as the Latin derivative of the name suggest. (“Kohl” meaning cabbage and “rabi” or rapi, for turnip.)  I am going to experiment with some recipes until I land on one I like.  In the meantime, I’ve done my research and here is what you need to know about kohlrabi:

Basic Uses:
Raw: a fresh bulb should be crisp, juicy and refreshing. You may eat it peeled or skin scrubbed clean. Serve it shredded in a salad, cut into julienne strips and eaten with a dip or soft cheese. When grated, it can be made into a slaw.
Cooked: to bring out its sweetness, blanch and use in salads or a single serve vegetable. Kohlrabi can also be steamed or boiled, with or without the skin. Serve with a light cream or cheese sauce, flavored butter or vinaigrette.  Sauté or stir-fry with shallots, onions and add marjoram, thyme, nutmeg or ginger.
Don’t throw out the leaves! Kohlrabi leaves are edible and can be prepared as you would spinach.

Storage:
The bulb and leaves should be removed and stored separately. The globes can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks, while the leaves, stored in a perforated plastic bag will last a few days.

Here is a recipe to try that may prove to be delightful:

Balsamic-tinged Kohlrabi
4 medium or 3 large kohlrabi globes, about 2-2 ½ pounds
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4/ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup water
Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped chives

Directions:
1.    Trim and peel globes. Cut into ¾ inch slices, then dice, to make 2 ¼ cups.
2.    Heat oil in skillet and add kohlrabi.
3.    Toss to coat with oil and cook for about 6 minutes or until lightly brown.
4.    Sprinkle with salt, add water and bring to boil.
5.    Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, stirring often.
6.    Once tender, if water remains in skillet, pour off and add vinegar and pepper and stir to glaze vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes.
7.    Add chives and toss. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment