Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thinking of Spring

Hello again friends.  I am resurfacing after a long winters nap.

 It's a tricky time of year isn't it?  The impatient waiting for the temperatures to reach comfortable levels and the readiness to get a little dirt under my finger nails seems to be at odds with one another. I just had to have some "color therapy' as the drabness of winter just about pulled me under.  I love that the Philadelphia flower show is strategically scheduled for early March.  My annual trip has proven to be just what the doctor ordered. The blast of colors, endless vendors selling seeds and a plethora of gardening ideas just boost my spirits. 

I'm ready to go, with my onion sets, pea seeds and cool crop plants patiently sitting on my kitchen counter.  I am hoping that this weekend will be kind to me and I can get some of these things planted. 

How about you? Thinking of giving gardening a try this season?  I found some crops to be incredibly easy to grow and want to encourage you to give them a try. Here are some vegetables you may want to consider growing:
1. Onions
2. Peas
3. Carrots (just dug up the remains of last years crop a week ago.  They were so yummy and sweet!)
4. Kale
5. Swiss Chard
6. Brussel Sprouts

Planting Zones are very important.  If you are new to gardening you will need to understand what planting zone you live in and follow zones guidelines carefully.  Visit this site to determine your zone and planting schedule. www.thevegetablegarden.info/planting-schedules

Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment